Monday, October 1, 2012

Four Fancy Fish and a Maverick


First, let me say, that I am not thrilled with this piece. It is rather pedestrian in its execution. I had a pretty good idea, but didn't leave enough time to flesh it out.

Here is the story. I live in a part of the country where it is almost a badge of honor for women of my age to let their hair go naturally gray. Many women in the northwest do not even bother to have their hair styled— they just let it grow and grow and grow.

My hair, if I let it go natural, would be thin and stringy and an ugly shade of mousy gray. I was thrilled when my stylist gave me red hair about 10 years ago. It totally fit my personality and made me happy. I had always loved my grandmother's red hair.

Recently, my husband made a comment about liking my hair when it is more brown, like when he first met me. The maverick in me came out. I went in to have my monthly hair color done and asked Kevin for something new and edgy, but still in the red zone. We settled on a darker, burgundy red — in the sunlight, it looked a little purple.

The next day, we stopped in at a local gallery event. There were 3 long haired gray women talking at the counter. I overheard one of them say, I could never dye my hair purple! I laughed and walked up to the group, as the owner was one of them, and started talking to her. They were all taken aback a bit. That night, I decided that my maverick quilt would be about my hair. 

I don't do faces, hair, or people in quilts so I settled on a maverick red/purple fish. I couldn't find gray batiks that I liked so I settled for these neutral fabrics.

11 comments:

Kristin L said...

I too love your maverick hair! your fish is definitely the odd one in the bunch, but more exciting and beautiful for it. It would have been nice to see this fleshed out and maybe with even more grey/neutral fish, but I think you've made your point well and I am definitely drawn to the fun red fish more than the mousy neutral ones!

Deborah Boschert said...

I love the interesting shapes of all the different fish. I think your title is so funny... Four Fancy Fish and a Maverick. But, to me... the red one is the one that is FANCY! Just like you!

Diane Perin said...

You've said that you think this is pedestrian, Gerrie, but I think it's very charming and has a great sense of whimsy. It's also unmistakably about the red fish being different. I love how you've symbolized the natural gray heads with the pretty but beigey fish. I think this is really fun!

Brenda said...

The red fish has such personality. It's not just the colour. There's a jaunty angle and the red fish looks inquisitive, always learning, while the others just go up and down.

On the subject of learning, now I have discovered the Horizon overcasting foot, I will have to try out some other stitches.

Karen said...

Like Diane said, this is charming Gerrie, and I see your personality in that red fish

Terri Stegmiller said...

How in the world did you happen to choose fish to portray your idea? LOL! Too funny and now I almost want to make an appointment with my hair stylist to do something mavericky.

kirsten said...

I love your hair, Gerrie :)
And I love that you chose fish!

Robin said...

Your hair suits you, Gerrie! Great story behind the fish:))

Nikki said...

I have to agree that the red fish is the only fancy fish! I love your hair. One of these days I will take the time to add a little red to mine too.

Unknown said...

Yeah for red hair! I kind of want that fish to be the only one swimming in that direction though.

Terry Grant said...

Personally, having seen your hair in person, I find the new color more conservative than your usual more orange-y shade, but still interesting! I love the whimsical fish to represent you and your, ahem, white-haired friends!