Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Twelve Ways

 Do not go where the path map may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-  with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson
Desire Lines #8: Twelve Ways by Brenda Gael Smith

In landscape architecture, the term "desire lines" describes an informal path developed by erosion of footfall caused by people finding a short cut or preferred route often bypassing the official or constructed way. As explorers forge their own path, desire lines manifest on the surface of the earth leaving a trail for others to follow thereby encouraging more travel. And so it has been for the Twelve by Twelve project.  We have each followed our heart's desire, our own personal creative path and yet, together, we have created a kind of map that inspires others others to venture out.

During this challenge period I have been travelling extensively including two trips to New Zealand and time in Tasmania, Sydney, Brisbane and the Hunter Valley.  This latest work in my Design Lines series was created in a brief time in my studio over Easter.  Each line represents a Twelve, starting with Deborah (purple) and ending with Nikki (cerise). The colours are loosely based on colours chosen by the Twelve for their Colourplay challenge and/or the Twelve's favourite colours.

14 comments:

Jane said...

This is a wonderful interpretation of the theme!

Diane Perin said...

Very beautiful, Brenda! This has a lovely elegance to it.

dutchcomfort said...

Love your interpretation and involving the fav colours of the Twelve group!

Kristin L said...

Such an interesting interpretation. Recently, I was reading a blog post about the necessity (or not) of statements next to artwork. Your piece here is a perfect example of getting a deeper understanding of the work with just a little explanation. It's nice on it's own, but along with your story, you get the wonderful lightbulb moment of "oh, cool!"

Karen said...

I agree with Kristin, this piece stands out with the lovely lines and colors, but the artist statement really makes it personal.

Gerrie said...

I always love the elegance of your quilts - lovely quilting lines and great colors. Your explanation was nice, but the title told me the story. I was hoping that I was chartreuse!!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Beautiful! Love the colors and graceful curves.

Terry Grant said...

This looks so flowing and effortless, but I know that such fluid curves don't happen by accident. Your sense of balance and restraint and flow give your work such a distinctive look, despite its seeming simplicity. Very beautiful. And I love the explanation of "desire lines."

Renate said...

A beautiful representation of the Twelves "desire lines". A very unique interpretation of the "map" theme.

kirsten said...

Terry is right - restraint and balance are essential components of such a seemingly simple piece. You have them both. I think your work is becoming more and more refined.

Nikki said...

I love the representation of this journey we have travelled together.

Françoise said...

Beautiful colours and flowing lines! And I'm in love with the blue you gave me.

Deborah Boschert said...

Oh! Thanks for making me purple and putting me next to Gerrie's green! I wasn't familiar with the term desire lines, but I can think of many worn pathways that fit your description. We do go where we need to go, don't we? I think it's quite fascinating to see the jumps, inspirations and interpretations we found within the theme.

Unknown said...

Simple, crisp and compelling!