I knew when I heard the theme "Maps" I would some how be able to tie it into my explorations of the body. I considered brain mapping, but I wasn't crazy about the images I saw, so I went with cardiac mapping. Cardiac Mapping is preformed by inserting catheters into the heart and moving them around to different locations to identify where an arrhythmia starts. Once the doctors have identified the area, they zap it (technical term is ablation), to destroy the aberrant tissue.
I looked at several pictures on line to get an idea of the images the doctors see, and this finished piece is a combination of what I saw, and what I imagined. As you can see, I'm not the best at hand stitching the rounded edges, I ripped them out several times but for some reason I couldn't make them look the way I wanted them to. I will say I'm really good at stitching arrhythmias.
The background orange started out as ProChem tangerine, but it was really screaming at me, so I overdyed it with dusty purple, which toned it down a bit. The machine stitching was all done on my Sweet Sixteen which moved along really quickly so I was able to spend a lot more time ripping out and restitching the hand work. I was going to make a series with this, and I still may, but I've only completed one other, which is on my blog /http://www.fiberartmusings.blogspot.com/.
The Printed Fabric Bee February
11 hours ago