Wednesday, March 18, 2009



I'm not having an easy time with this "windows" theme. The problem, I fear, is that I have a love affair with windows and tend to photograph them. I have too many ideas, most too detailed for what I can (or want to try to) do in a 12-inch format.

My husband, helpfully, suggested that I do the view from out of the front window of a car, with the road ahead, also containing the rear view mirror showing the road behind. Cool concept, indeed, but in 12 inches? I don't think so. I told him I'll look forward to seeing his quilt when it's done.

I have a bunch of photographs from various vacations in Nantucket some years ago. Talk about great windows! The pictures are sort of faded now, but I scanned a few anyway to see if I could use them. I'm not sure how it's going yet. So, you may see a bit of this one, or you may not. It's too soon to tell. :-)

By the way, as I think about windows, I find that I'm drawn to the idea of looking IN windows from the outside, more than I am the perspective of looking out from the inside. When I was a kid, we'd have Sunday dinners at my grandparents' house, and I remember how I'd always be looking at the windows of the houses on the way home, trying to see if I could catch a glimpse of a person or get any sort of sense of the life inside that house.

Hmmm. Are you guys having the same difficulty I am? Too many thoughts and too hard to settle on one?

3 comments:

Kristin L said...

Yes! I was overwhelmed by the enormity of the possibilities. I stayed simple and didn't stray too far from one of my first ideas. I was afraid once I made that step I'd be a goner for sure. ;-) This one ended up being more about trying a new technique than going for a big concept.

Terry Grant said...

No problem with this one! I had an idea right away and have not strayed from the original idea. Good thing because I decided to do a lot of hand-stitching, which I finally just finished. I learned that I don't ever want to do a lot of hand-stitching again!

Anonymous said...

Roger might be interested to know that his driving/rear view image was used by two entrants in the Looking Forward, Looking Back. See the pieces by Kay Haerland and Margy Syrett.