Sunday, September 30, 2007

Thread Lace

In thinking about "Pusteblume," or the dandelions that have gone to seed and become white balls of fluff, I've been looking at puffy, fluffy, airy, holey fabrics. I also realized that I could make my own dandelion fluff on the wind.

Using a water soluble stabilizer stretched in a hoop I experimented with different overlapping free-motion patterns.




I tried circles, bursts, circles with various yarns and cords, and bursts with bits of rayon thread thrown in. The bursts were definitely more dandelion-esque, but I wanted to try the circles with a fluffy, hairy yarn. Unfortunately, I used that yarn first and it got too buried under the other fibers and lost it's fluffyness. After rinsing the stabilizer out, my definite favorite is the bursts with random bits of rayon threads thrown it.



I'm not absolutely sure I'll end up using this, but it was a good experiment and I'm pleased with the results.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the lacy piece at the bottom!

Deborah Boschert said...

Hmmmm. I think I've got some sulky in my closet!

Anonymous said...

I love it all!! Can't wait to see the end result.

Terry Grant said...

Very cool.